Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The black sheep, er, cow, of the family

It's been a little chilly the last few mornings in MN, at or below 20. I drive by alot of farms on my way into work. I happened to take notice of a herd of cows this morning. The vast majority of them were all laying (lying?) in one massive group, I assume all huddled together for warmth. Then, off to one side were two of them, snuggled up; but then there was one just laying (lying?) off to the side all by herself.

Now what possible crime could she have committed that she couldn't join in with the rest of them? Was she excommunicated or exiled by the rest of the group; or was it her decision and she' s just anti-social?

I don't know much about cows; but we had an aquaintance of ours who had just a few head that he raised as a hobby. He told us that these cows had personalities, and that they would actually play games; like king, or queen, of the hill. One time he brought out one of the calves for us to see close-up; the mother started mooing at us in what I could tell was a surly New York mobster tone; I think she was telling us she'd stomp us into the ground and urinate on our heads if we did anything to her baby.

Boring blog, I just found that interesting. Segue: anybody see the animated movie that was out this last summer with all the farm animals, I can't remember the movie---they had male personalities on the cows, that didn't quite make sense.

3 comments:

W.B. Picklesworth said...

Believe it or not I've been fascinated by the way cows lie (lay?) down for years, ever since I noticed the behavior when my family was in Germany. "Look! The cows are curled up like big cats!" It makes me laugh every time I see it.

Mercy Now said...

I think they sleep standing up which is where the term "cow tipping" comes from I guess.

I don't think you mistyped but @ or 20 below is not "a little chilly", it's down right freakin freezing where snots freeze before they even come out of your nasal cavity! Ahh, I'm glad I live in FL.

W.B. Picklesworth said...

Mercy, you have been taken in by an old myth. Our friends the cows get down on their bellies.

What do you mean 20 is freezing? Soon enough 20 will seem like tanning weather if the sun cooperates. ;)