Monday, August 13, 2007

The Last of the Koongarra

From News of the Weird

Australian Jeffrey Lee is the last surviving member of the clan that controls the Koongarra uranium deposit near Kakadu National Park (east of Darwin), and federal law requires his permission for the French energy company Areva to extract the estimated 14,000 tons, perhaps worth the equivalent of $4.2 billion (U.S.), but Lee vouches never to sell because "if you disturb that land, bad things will happen." "This is my country," he told the Sydney Morning Herald in July. "I'm not interested in money. I've got a job. ... I can go fishing and hunting. That's all that matters to me." [Sydney Morning Herald, 7-14-07]

Do you think anybody would be surprised if they happen to find that Mr Lee was eaten by a crocodile on one of his fishing trips? One man standing between a major international corporation and $4.2 billion. That's like standing in the way of Rosie O'Donnell and an all-you-can-eat buffet. Dangerous.

1 comment:

Gino said...

" I can go fishing and hunting."

hehe...
i'm on HIS side.