Saturday, July 28, 2007

Real men.................

So, we're at Como Zoo this morning, (Mocha-momma had a job doing tattoos at a company picnic from 10:30-12:30, so Hannah-bear and I tagged along) and Hannah and I are having a snack, doing some people watching while we eat. A couple is walking towards us, and they're noticeable for two reasons. They appeared to be Mennonites, or something like that; the woman had a long dress from the 1850's on and had the white skull cap type thingy on her head. The guy had a simple button-down shirt, with suspenders, and was wearing a weird hat. Secondly, the guy had a Stanley tape measure attached to his belt.

Who in their right mind would go out in public and wear a tape measure on their belt? Does the guy get some kind of urge to just measure things? I wondered if it was maybe a cell phone that looked exactly like a Stanley tape measure; but I don't think so. It's not like the guy was an old fart like me, or Nightwriter. He looked to be in his 20's. Anyway, I found it rather odd. I guess real men wear their tape measures with pride.

Here's just a few pictures. Sparky the Sea Lion has been the main attraction since the 60's. (not the same one, I think they've had about 3 or 4. This one is 17, and was born at the zoo) It's been a few years since we were over there. I was amazed at the new Japanese Garden exhibit and how they constructed that and the visitor center on to the old conservatory.





6 comments:

Gino said...

it amazes how both your kids look like the parents.
in girls's pic, i see mama from 30 yrs ago.
and i see a younger version of dad in JR.

its great.

(my boy dont look nuttin like me, but he's the carbon copy of his grandad)

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

I thought for sure gino was going to do a "gramps" joke again!

Gino said...

gabrielle: truth be told, my beard is as white as KD's. and i'm seven yrs younger. :(

Anonymous said...

30 years Gino? Couldn't you have said 10 or 15? That would have earned you some points!

mocha-momma

Gino said...

but that would have made KD a criminal.
and i'm sure i wouldnt want to be responsible for his arrest.

besides, MM, i think he's too old for you already.

Anonymous said...

I have a number of Mennonite friends, and I believe the tape measurer is their version of "bling".