Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Today in history: June 6

Okay, I know something big happened on this date; what is it?

1808 - Napoleon's brother, Joseph Bonaparte is crowned King of Spain.

That's huge, but not what I'm thinking.

1833 - U.S. President Andrew Jackson becomes the first President to ride a train.

Hmm, getting warmer.

1912 - Eruption of Novarupta in Alaska begins. Second largest volcanic eruption in historic time.

Nope, that's too warm. I know, and I've known this probably from 2nd grade. It's amazing how many people probably have no clue. Salute to the greatest generation.

1944 - World War II: Battle of Normandy begins. D-Day, code named Operation Overlord, commences with the landing of 155,000 Allied troops on the beaches of Normandy in France. The allied soldiers quickly break through the Atlantic Wall and push inland in the largest amphibious military operation in history.

I've mentioned this before---my father is the chaplain for the MN chapter of Pointman Ministries. If you know of any veterans who need help in any way, direct them to the Pointman website: http://geocities.com/pmimintl/

or they can reach my dad at logmin@charter.net; he will help in any way he can.

No comments: