Saturday, May 26, 2007

Want to lose some unwanted fat


Write or e-mail the executives at ABC, and all the others, and tell them not to give this woman another show.
That's not the point of this post though. (I apologize, I try not to single out individuals, prefering to just slam liberals as a whole; but there are some high profile lunatics that I just can't help myself---Rosie, and Al Gore being two of the most prominent)
What I wanted to post about was a site that I had linked to from Newsmax. It's called The Diet List. Having to watch my diet more closely now, since the diabetes diagnosis, I am trying to lose weight again, though with a little different attitude than previously. Seeing this site made me remember something that my doctor said when he first diagnosed me, which was this:
It's easier for people to kick drug addictions, even heroin, than it is for people to successfully lose weight by dieting. (not an exact quotation, but that's what he implied)
I don't generally believe everything a person tells me; but I like the guy, and I think he's a good doctor, so I assume he knows what he's talking about. What do you think?

3 comments:

W.B. Picklesworth said...

To permanently lose weight by dieting is fairly rare. I think most people try to do it too fast. The real trick is to make changes that you can stick with forever. In other words, "changing your diet" instead of "dieting".

For some reason people love arguing about what's harder to quit. I think intravenous coffee users have it the worst, but that's just my opinion.

Anonymous said...

I tend to agree with the doc. With a drug addiction you can choose to completely eliminate it from your life. (including the people you got it from & the friends you did it with etc.) Food however, is everywhere and you do need to eat. I know in our family food is central to our gatherings and our memories. We pass this focus on to our children. The memories I have of my mother most often involve food. She taught me how to cook; that was the time I spent with her. I think the dicipline required to make life long changes is tremendous.

Mocha-Momma

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

The thing about losing weight is, generally, you just need a better metabolism. And there is all this balance involved with eating, like, if you fast too much, it sends a signal that you're starving and that slooowws your metabolism. So you're supposed to eat less more often. Personally, I hate that. I don't want to think about eating all day long. I want to forget about it for long periods of time, until my stomach is just aching for food, and this is supposed to be bad for losing weight. But when I had a better metabolism, this didn't matter. I believe you and I need a miracle of an increased metabolism,one like, say, Ben Worley.