Thursday, May 24, 2007

This day in history: May 24

1941 - World War II: In the North Atlantic, the German Battleship Bismarck sinks the HMS Hood killing all but three crewmen on what was the pride of the Royal Navy.

1929 - The Cocoanuts, the first film to star the Marx Brothers, opens.

Hurray for Hollywood. I haven't seen it in countless years; but I remember watching 'Sink the Bismarck' when I was a kid. I loved that movie.

I was introduced to Marx Brother's movies when I was in college at Gustavus. I had some good friends who were really into them. As you entered the grounds of Gustavus through the main gate, there were two large light poles, each with a large plastic globe type thingy (sorry for getting so technical); anyway, these guys would paint a mustache and glasses on the globes in honor of Groucho. The school would clean them off, and a day later they'd be painted again. They were like that pretty much the whole time those guys were there.

P.S. You might have noticed that my blogging habits are changing. Most of my posts will be done in the evenings now, though I'm not going to cut down on the number of posts. There's just too much nonsense going on in the world. I have trouble reining myself in sometimes. I try to keep them short and sweet. I also try not to get to deep into world affairs, there are enough other brilliant bloggers who handle that just fine. I'm here to give you a break, and a laugh, from the seriousness of the world.

No comments: