Wednesday, December 27, 2006

We got our dog: good news and bad news

It didn't happen last Saturday as we hoped; but the new addition to our family was dropped off yesterday---Dixie, a one year old Sheltie. The good news is that I've completely fallen in love with her, she's a doll; the bad news, we were told she was outdoor potty-trained, but so far she's just enjoyed the outdoors, and has been peeing and pooping in the house.

This is definitely a 'Nip it in the Bud' situation. The problem is she's such a shy and timid little dog, that we're going to have to be very delicate in getting her trained properly.

The breeder we dealt with has 17 dogs right now. Dixie is way to small for her to breed, she's about 8 pounds right now. The thing is, even with all these dogs, Dixie was trained to be pottied while on leash being led around by someone. I'm sorry, but there's no way on this green earth, or should I say snow covered earth, that we're going to be taking her out and walk her all the time to do her duty. With our other dog, we put him on a lead, opened the back door, and out he went to do it on his own.

Beside this little glitch, she's certainly a great little lap dog, and I enjoyed sitting in my big comfy chair with my lap top and her curled up next to me as I browsed all my favorite sites yesterday.

P.S. the cat hasn't been too happy, but we've been making sure that we're giving her attention. There was one moment yesterday when we heard a tremendous hiss and yelping going on, and suddenly Dixie came booking from the other room and dove up into my lap. Socks evidently showed her displeasure in a fairly meaningful way.

1 comment:

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

good luck with the new dog