Monday, June 04, 2007

This day in history: June 4

1974 - The Cleveland Indians attempt an ill-advised ten cent beer promotion for a game against the Texas Rangers at Cleveland Municipal Stadium. Cleveland forfeits 9-0 after alcohol-fueled mayhem and violence spreads from the stands onto the field.

Well sure, hindsight is 20-20. Who in their right mind would have guessed that tons of blue-collar Cleveland fans would take advantage of 10 cent beers and go nuts. And they just didn't cause trouble, they caused mayhem; and not just any kind of mayhem, but alcohol-fueled mayhem. You know how much more mayhemmy things can get when it's alcohol-fueled.

I tell you; just once before I die, I'd like to be involved in some sort of general mayhem. I'll have to keep my ears open, and the next time they have a G-8 summit in the U.S., I'm going. That seems to be a magnet for mayhemmers. Either that, or maybe the Saint Paul Saints minor league team will have a 10 cent beer night, they do alot of goofy promotions.

No comments: