Thursday, June 21, 2007

In other words: If you want to learn how to survive in a lion's den, just jump in and let experience teach you.

The 70-20-10 Rule—Developing the great leader in you: Did you know 70 percent of learning and development should come from on-the-job experiences, 20 percent comes from feedback, observation and working in coaching and mentoring relationships, and 10 percent from formal learning such as classroom training?

Between the lines: we don't want to exert the time or spend the money to properly equip you to handle the job and overcome the problems and obstacles you'll face on a day to day basis. Suck it up, and you'll learn it all as you go along.

I can understand the numbers, to a point. Not everybody thrives, or can be successful, when just getting tossed to the lions however. I'm sure alot of people have quit, or been fired, from jobs because they weren't prepared to handle the on-the-job experiences.

1 comment:

Bike Bubba said...

What's unsaid is that companies USED TO keep older employees around, who would mentor the younger ones so that the "dues-paying" and "sucking it up" would be reasonable in extent.

I vividly remember the head deacon (dad of the pastor actually) giving me a delightful rebuke; he pointed out that my role as deacon was really to try to work myself out of a job by training other people to do what I was doing.

He also pointed out that, sad to say, the culture of mentoring was becoming a thing of the past in the corporate world. 'tis sink or swim these days, I guess.