Sunday, June 03, 2007

And what's the record for the longest stint on the pot?

California man sets hot dog record
A California man smashed the world record for hot dog eating at a contest Saturday, gobbling up more than 59 franks in 12 minutes.

This is peanuts. I want to know where they have the stuffed cabbage roll eating competition; sign me up for that. This is pretty impressive though---nearly 5 dogs per minute for 12 minutes, one dog (and bun) every 12 seconds.

I've always been skeptical when it comes to world records; it doesn't matter what kind of competitions they are. My thought is that it's a world record for those who have ever had the opportunity to compete; but what about people who have no chance to even try due to their life circumstances. For instance, I don't know who holds it, or what the time is, for the mile run; but I believe there's some guy somewhere in the world who can probably run it about 10 seconds faster, except that guy doesn't even know they hold those types of competitions. He's a John Doe living in a tribe somewhere in the Congo.

As far as eating hot dogs, I bet there's some guy in Poland who could polish off about 70 in 12 minutes, but he's too busy chowing down on kielbasas to even consider trying for the record.

No comments: