Monday, May 07, 2007

Would it look odd to go fishing wearing a welder's mask

Fishing Overtakes Basketball as the No. 1 Cause of Sports-Related Eye Injuries
Fishing is a dangerous sport, and not just for the fish.

The Star Tribune reported that eye injuries from fishing have reeled past basketball injuries to become the number one sports-related eye injury in the U.S., according to the U.S. Eye Injury Registry at the Birmingham-based Helen Keller Foundation.

Anglers like Squire make up about 9 percent of all sports eye injuries. That is more than racquet sports or basketball.

Squire's injury, a hook to the eye, makes up about 38 percent of those fishing injuries, while the body of a lure striking the eye makes up another 44 percent of those injuries.

I've never been a fisherman. I've gone out maybe 10 times in my life. JR has been getting into fishing with a buddy of his over the last few years though, so this might be the year I try to get into it a little more. I'd like to go out with him and spend some time together.

I can see my first order of business is going to get protective headgear; and, while I'm at it, I might get some body armor as well. No hook is going to get me. I'll tell you that right now.

As a matter of fact, I might just leave the hooks off period. When I have gone fishing, I've simply enjoyed the atmosphere and serenity of sitting there holding a rod and enjoying nature. If I put a hook on the line, I might actually catch a fish. Then, I have to grab the slimy thing and do some work putting it back in the water. I don't eat fish, so I'm not gonna keep it.

The statistics they quoted above only account for 82% of fishing injuries; I wonder what the remaining 18% entail? What I do know is that with blogging, I have 0% chance of having my eyeballs shredded; and the only real possibility of getting injured is when Mocha-momma wops me on the side of the head when I post something about her where she takes offense. (just kidding)

No comments: