Tuesday, May 01, 2007

This day in history: May 1

President Dwight D. Eisenhower's 1958 Proclamation Establishing Law Day
It was first proposed in the 1950s by the American Bar Association, and President Dwight Eisenhower proclaimed May 1 Law Day, U.S.A. in 1958. Its observance was later codified into law by Public Law 87-20 on April 7, 1961.

In contrast, most countries celebrate May Day on the same date, as it is designated International Workers Day. Law Day, U.S.A., along with Loyalty Day, was created to discourage celebration of May Day, a perceived communist holiday.

This day was established when I was one-year old, and today is the first time I ever heard of it. Now that I know about it, I will do my best to observe it and not break any laws. I guess the bank job I was planning is just going to have to wait.

No comments: