Monday, April 30, 2007

I've been called worse

Australian Football Referees not to be Called "White Maggot" (Tongue Tied)

"White Maggot" is undoubtedly meant as an insult but it is not racial. It is used by whites to whites. It is the term traditionally used in Australian football to insult the referee if you disagree with him. It is part of our marvellously vivid Australian language. But as the world gets more and more neurotic about all negative speech, our betters have decided that the term must be banned and that spectators using it will be evicted from the match
I could take getting called nasty names by lunatic fans if I was getting paid enough. The scary part for these kind of refs is that you never know how far a lunatic will go, and if they'll do bodily harm.
I haven't umped or refereed in years, and I don't know that I would want to, even with little leaguers or other kid programs. There are too many whacko parents out there, and I don't want to make the newspaper by becoming a victim.

No comments: