Tuesday, January 16, 2007

AKJ update: terrorist loose in India

India Offers Reward for Leopard Eyed in Children's Deaths (FoxNews)
SRINAGAR, India — Police in Indian-controlled Kashmir offered a reward Tuesday for any information on a killer leopard believed to have eaten three children in the last week.

Three children aged between eight and 10 were mauled to death by a leopard near Chatergul village last week, officials said. A 10-year old boy was also killed there last month.

A reward of 10,000 Indian rupees (US$225) would be given to anyone with information on tracking down the leopard, said police officer Hemant Lohia.

Wildlife officers said an exception to laws protecting leopards had been made. "We've given permission for the killing of the leopard as it has turned into a man-eater," said Farooq Ahmed, an officer in the wildlife department.

Leopards are protected under the Indian Wildlife Act and their killing is punishable by up to six years imprisonment.

In the last six months 10 people have been killed by wild animals in two districts of Jammu-Kashmir state, Anantnag and Pulwama, while a similar number of bears and leopards have been killed in the same time, said Lohia.

As a parent, I get bent out of shape if my kids check in late or they're not home when it turns dark. Our main concern is always in regard to human predators, those among us who prey on our children for there own sick and evil purposes.

To live in a place where my kids could be eaten by a wild animal is beyond my wildest imagination. I'm not going to make light of this situation; but again, I will point out that a bunch of liberal-minded do-gooders passed a law that equates animal lives with human lives. It's inconceivable to imagine that there are probably people out there who would sue to stop authorities from tracking down this killer. I realize it's not the animals fault; but it's them or us, and I prefer it be them. (as opposed to Islamic terrorists; it is a decision they make to be murderous thugs, and liberal-minded lunatics still jump on their bandwagon)

I like animals as much as the next (normal-minded) guy; but if I lived in a place where an animal, by nature, would be apt to kill and eat one of my kids; I'm sorry, I'm shooting first and asking questions later. I'd just have to cry myself to sleep at night over the death of a predator and take my chances on having to do jail time; but I'd be happy as all get-out hugging my kids the next morning.

The other interesting bit of this story is the amount of the reward--$225. What kind of economic category would that put the recipient in within their area?

1 comment:

W.B. Picklesworth said...

A reward of $225? With money like that someone could buy a gun! Wait a sec, wouldn't you want the gun first?