Friday, November 17, 2006

I've never owned a car worth stealing

I just read a story in the Strib about St Cloud being one of the worst places to live in the U.S. I'm not going to comment on that. (maybe Marty will want to add a comment) The thing that I'm interested in was a comment from a St Cloud resident who said they had moved here from Miami after their car had been stolen 4 times. (later editing: I mean she had 4 cars stolen, each at a different time)

That reminded me of my uncle (now passed away), who had lived in Chicago; he lived in the county that was considered #1 in the states for auto thefts. He told a story one time of a neighbor who owned a Corvette. The guy would park his 'Vette in between two trees out back and chain it to the trees. One morning he went out, the 'Vette had been turned around and rechained back to the trees; on the wiper was a note that said, "if we want this car, we're gonna take it."

Another story: a friend of our family had a Cadillac stolen in Chicago when he was there on business. A few months later he was in Florida, driving along the highway, and saw his stolen car pass him as he was driving. I think he lost it in traffic; he filed a report but the cops told him he may as well consider it gone for good.

1 comment:

Marty said...

Been there done that"

St. Cloud defrocked

[I've been blogging a long time you see, there are few American cities I haven't made fun of in the archives of my numerous abandoned blogs]